Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Answer for Johnny Sac

Johnny Sac writes:

I love to sing Boys II Men songs, yet my colleagues can't stand it. I have committed tons of time to hitting those high notes in "I'll Make Love To You", and those low notes in "When The Water Runs Dry". What should I do Todder? I feel I need to stand up for myself and keep singing away? What are your suggestions being quite the singer yourself?

Let me just start off by saying I am quite a singer. I frequently belt out one song or another, usually with the name Todd replacing actual lyrics. I am also a huge Boyz II Men fan. When I saw them in concert (granted only three of the four boyz were there, and since it was only a couple of months ago they were no mere boyz) it made my heart melt and my soul cry. If I had caught them in their prime and seen all four of them together I think I would have cried so many tears of joy that a river would have immediately have formed as soon they started singing "Water Runs Dry" and they would have had to stop singing it because obviously the water would not be running dry, in which case I would start crying tears of sadness because they stopped singing such a lovely song.

At any rate, you're in quite a dilly of a pickle. Believe me, I know the urge to just start serenading my coworkers with "I'll Make Love to You," but not only is it a bit inappropriate, it may cause a sexual harassment lawsuite. You just have to wait for the right moments to sing. Perhaps if you're all alone in the bathroom you can belt out a few bars. Or perhaps you can have entrance and exit music for each day. Maybe you can walk in singing a song like "Baby C'Mon" to get everyone hyped up and leave singing a song like "The End of the Road" signaling the end of the work day. Just get a little creative with it. And if you just can't go the day without singing at inappropriate times, well them I'm going to tell you what Whoopi Goldberg told Lauren Hill in Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit: "If you wake up in the morning, and you can't think anything but singing, then you should be a singer, girl."

No comments: