Monday, March 2, 2009

Todd's Stories #16

I guess when I was around the age of 12 my brother got a laser tag set for Christmas. This was before you could go to your local DZ Zone or Sporttime and play. This was before those shitty little ones became big where you had the little target on your front and back and a little pussy gun and light that screetched when you were shot. This was the real deal. Big ass guns that took 8 D batteries each in order to be used.

Anyway, we obviously wanted to use them immediately so we scrounged around for every D battery in the house until we had a grand total of 16 D batteries (that's 8 x 2, 8 being the number of batteries it takes for each gun and 2 being the number of guns, in case you didn't know.) The guns were these big green guns with a wire that attacked to them that went from the gun to this head set with a light on it to signal when you got hit. However, that wasn't the only signal the gun gave for a direct hit. The head gear would shake like crazy, and for me at the age of 12, it would shake to the point of putting me to tears. You may be asking yourself, well why would that be fun? Well, the answer is it wasn't, but my brother, 6 years my senior, made me play anyway. But in retrospect, I'm glad he made me play. If he didn't force me into playing a game that made me cry every time I was hit, I wouldn't have become the hardened man that I am today. That game of laser tag changed me, and I will never forget it.

The moral of the story is don't be a panzy. Play a game that brings the pain.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's why we always do our routine practice before Tomball games. Toughens you up to the foul prone game ahead. Added bonus is like you said makes you a hardened man.

Although your story does sounds a tad like your rationalizing some brotherly abuse...

Anonymous said...

remember when we wore your dog's electric fence collar? Now that brought the pain AND the fun.