Friday, February 13, 2009

Answer for Professor Pitstains

Professor Pitstains writes:

Dear TTG (Todd The God),

What was it like going through puberty at age 8?

First off, the estimate of age 8 is a bit early. I ripened into a full grown man at around the age of 12, so let's try to keep our facts straight. Thanks.

As for my early puberty, it was quite unfortunate. Trying to shave in like sixth grade is not particularly fun. Luckily for me, I was never one of those gross kids who didn't want to face the fact that they had facial hair and let it grow out way longer than they should have. I nipped the bud as soon as I saw the first whiskers coming in, and I've been shaving nearly every day since.

One good thing about the early puberty was that I was a monster in seventh and eight grade. In basketball, I owned the boards, and on the playground I owned anything I wanted. The middle school was my oyster. Yes, I may have had acne way earlier than everyone else, and yes, I was not particularly attractive, but I sure as shit wasn't gonna get bullied anytime soon. The downside of that positive is that everyone thought I was going to be like 6'3" and my dreams of going to the NBA seemed like they may be possible with a lot of hard work, but that was until I stopped growing in eight grade and all those dreams went flashing by.

I can't really think of any other positives or negatives of hitting puberty so young. I don't know if it's because I blocked them out of my mind because of the awkwardness I continually felt, or because it wasn't all that bad, but either way that young puberty has made me the man I am today.

No comments: