Thursday, April 17, 2008

Answer for Stripes

Stripes writes:

How much should I sell my burl for? I have it all stashed in the back of my pick-up, and I just don't know what to quote the price as. I think it is losing value as we speak. Please help.

Well stripes, this is an extremely odd question.  First off, it took some research for me to discover that a burl is one of those knots you sometimes see on trees.  Why you already knew this I do not know (unless you are an Eagle scout (Od) in which case your cover is blown).  Secondly, why do you have one in the back of your pick-up truck.  They are kind of gross and merely wood.  Thirdly, how do you get a burl in the first place.  They don't just fall off of trees.  The only explanation is that you consciously cut one off of a tree and carried it to your truck.  Why you would do such a thing is beyond me.

To get to your question, if anyone is willing to buy your burl you should probably accept whatever price they are willing to pay.  Considering the perspective buyer can simply cut down their own, any price is a good one.  

Instead of selling your burl, I think you should keep it.  Perhaps you can create some sort of decoration out of it.  Put it in your home to give it an outdoorsee feel.  Maybe you can turn it into a nice table of some sort.  If you are by chance a widdler, maybe you can widdle the burl into a statue or figurine.  I don't think the burl is meant to have any monetary value.  It is what you do with the burl that counts, and if you make it part of your home and cherish it, well, that's more valuable than all of the money in the world.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

weird question... it depends greatly on the type of tree it came from too and the size of the burl and if it's cut. burl is beautiful and if you don't want it, there's no reason why someone else shouldn't enjoy it's beauty or carve it into something. but yeah, just cutting burl out of a tree at random could kill the tree.
http://burlwoodshop.com

Anonymous said...

Burl is used in many different things to make the wood look nicer: tables, guitars, pots, etc. Todd, are you telling me that this is'nt worth something? Because I just can't believe that. Burl is a cancerous growth on the tree that creates beautiful patterns for use in many different woodworking projects. I just hoped you would realize the importance of the sale of burl and its meaning.

The Bod said...

Well, I wrote that you should probably widdle the burl into something and that the price of the burl is within. For me, it is not the burl which holds a monetary value, but rather the process of turning it into something you love which is of value. I am sorry if I did not make that clear. Never would I mis-value the price of a burl or underestimate what it can be made into.